Phil Bird from The PC Support Group gives his top tips on preventing slow computers
Do you have slow computers, frustrating you/your staff; affecting productivity and therefore profitability? Want a quick, simple, cheap or free tip to make them run faster?
The two most common causes of slowdown are:
• Every time you/a member of staff loads a program, file, or webpage, the PC’s software registry is updated with new instructions needed to operate that item. However, when the item is removed, these instructions usually remain on the PC causing significant slow down.
• Spyware and viruses that are loaded on your computer without your knowledge/permission.
You probably know you should never download screensavers, emoticons, films, etc from unknown sources; nor open any email attachments unless you know and trust the sender 100%.
Unfortunately – this also applies to software sold online that purports to “Clean Up” your PC” and makes claims like “literally only takes 5 minutes”, “Your computer instantly restored and automatic system clean-ups keep it running like new”, “protect you against viruses and attack from malicious files, ensuring it runs smoothly all of the time”.
Read what SafeBro.com say about one such TYPICAL download …
“Nasty rogue infection that works as a double agent. On one hand, it pretends to be a powerful system optimization and antivirus software that would fix your computer, but, in reality, it brings in viruses and steals your money. Associated with cyber crooks who create fake programs to trick users. Once this software is installed, it alerts you of several viruses detected on your machine (even if there is no virus). After a while, it will force you to buy the full/professional version in order to remove the viruses from your computer. That is the actual target of this nasty program. We recommend you to uninstall as soon as possible and do not purchase it on any condition. Please note: Manual removal may cause damages to your system if you do any mistake. Use this method only if you understand what you are about to do”.
Not a great picture is it?
It may cost a little more to ensure you use the right software to protect your systems and use qualified, knowledgeable engineers to resolve problems but ultimately it could save you thousands or even save your business.
At The PC Support Group, every computer we look after is subject to a remote weekly health check that includes:
• Spyware protection and Anti-Virus check
• Check for early warning signs of problems
• Removal of unnecessary temporary files that can choke your system
• Organisation of disk drives to prevent your computers from slowing down
Call us on 03300 886116 if you want your business critical IT System to be in SAFE hands! We’re here to help!