Fri, February 17th, 2017
Second Seminar Announced Following Successful First
After the successful conclusion of the 1st round of the International Seminar on Business Opportunities in Punjab (ISBOP), held in November 2015, we are holding its second round from 12-13 April, 2017 at the Lahore Expo Centre. A mega Expo will run up to 14th April.
As a consequence of the 1st round, positive and robust momentum was created which unleashed enormous business opportunities in Punjab. In the past one year, significant investments, in public and private sectors have flowed in various sectors such as infrastructure, energy, industrial zones, manufacturing, real estate, IT and transport.
2. China-Pakistan Economic Corridor is a “game changer” in the development process of Pakistan and is significantly impacting its growth trajectory. The US $ 51 billion dollars investment package under CPEC is having a transformational impact. Large scale and diverse projects of energy and infrastructure development are underway, mitigating Pakistan’s energy crisis and unleashing economic opportunities and creating jobs.
3. As a result of investments in hydel, LNG and coal based power plants as well as those of alternate energy, Pakistan is expected to surmount its current energy shortages by the end of this year. A network of motorways and roads is creating a state of the art infrastructure in the country. This infrastructure network has connected China with the deep sea port of Gwadar. Pakistan is fast emerging as transit hub in the region.
4. With great improvement in security environment, democratic consolidation, good governance, transparency, liberal and progressive economic policies, Pakistan is rapidly evolving into one of the Asian economic powerhouses. Christine Lagarde, Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) commenting on Pakistan’s economic performance called it “Pakistan’s moment of opportunity.” Pakistan Stock Exchange is currently amongst the fastest growing markets in Asia as well as in the world. PriceWaterhouseCoopers (PwC), a multinational professional services network, based in London has recently predicted that Pakistan’s economy could become 16th largest by 2050.
5. The Province of Punjab under the dynamic leadership of Chief Minister, Muhammad Shehbaz Sharif, is now at the center of dynamic, inclusive and sustained growth and development. On the cusp of these developments, Punjab has introduced far-reaching regulatory reforms and built vibrant infrastructure to cater to the needs of rapidly growing economic process. Some of the inherent strengths of Punjab include: (a) a demographic dividend of over 100 million people, (b) Over 160 billion dollars GDP, being larger than that of many European countries, (c) a road network stretching across the entire province, (d) internationally-recognized universities, (e) ingenuity of its hard working people, (f) and its geo-strategic location.
6. Punjab prides itself for good governance, efficient service delivery and transparency. It is the first in the country to introduce a (a) mass transit systems, (b) a 1,000 megawatt Solar Power Park, (c) Safe City Project (d) paved rural roads facilitating farm to market access of agri products (e) clean drinking water in rural areas (Saaf Pani Project), (f) world class Knowledge Park (Lahore Knowledge Park), (g) wide-ranging regulatory reforms that helped expand investment, and (h) social sector reforms consistent with the international conventions, etc.
7. Under the framework of CPEC, industrial development in Pakistan is going to attract increasing attention. ISBOP-2 will provide a timely and useful forum to identify and avail, among others, many opportunities for rapid industrialization in the province of Punjab.
8. The 2nd ISBOP will be attended by major investment houses, global entrepreneurs, private equity funds, policy-makers, financial institutions, chambers, and decision-makers from all over the world.
9. While not excluding any sector, thematic focus of 2nd ISBOP will be:
(a) Agriculture (covering agriculture sector in its broadest terms including
(b) Manufacturing (including reviving sick units and possible merger and
acquisitions of manufacturing assets)
(c) Mines and Minerals;
(d) Outsourcing selected Social Sectors Services (such as waste management,
health services, tourism services etc.)
10. The organizers will arrange result oriented and productive B2B, G2B and G2G meetings alongside the Seminar. The process of such negotiations between the concerned parties will start forthwith so that parties are able to reach agreement(s) during the course of the Seminar.
11. The mega Expo (12th-14th April) will be multi sectoral with the primary objective of attracting investments, both foreign and domestic.
12. The participation in the seminar will be by invitation. The invited companies/groups are likely to be extended local hospitality for 1-3 individuals per company, on case by case. The determination of extension of hospitality to specific companies will be made by the organizers in due course.
13. A designated interactive website for ISBOP-2 will be launched shortly. This website will include, sector wise projects for investments and JVs etc. Interested foreign companies are encouraged to also initiate practical investment proposals. PBIT will extend all assistance in arranging potential local partners, if desired.
14. We look forward to welcoming foreign firms interested in availing many business opportunities and investing in Punjab at this very propitious moment of its development.
For further details of the event please contact Afsheen Ul Haq at the High Commission of Pakistan.