This course is designed for in-house HR managers as well as business owners or managers who deal with day to day personnel issues.
About this event
By Charles Millett, Morecrofts Solicitors
Registration and Breakfast: 9.00am to 9.15am
Part 1: Holidays and Holiday Pay: Plotting A Way Through The Minefield – 9.15am to 10.05am
In this session, we will look at the highly complicated area of law governing holidays and holiday pay. What should in theory be a relatively straight forward topic has become one of the most unclear and complex areas of employment law over the past few years. A significant number of the queries we receive from our employer clients relate to holiday matters, whether they be calculating annual leave, dealing with requests for leave, calculating holiday pay or dealing with disputes over holiday pay.
- What does the law currently say people are entitled to?
- Who is entitled to holiday pay?
- How easy is it to reject an employee’s request for holiday?
- Can you make staff take holiday on certain dates?
- How to work out holiday entitlement for part-time workers.
- Bank holidays – complications that often arise
- Working out holiday pay where pay varies from week to week.
- Dealing with disputes and claims over holiday pay.
Tea/Coffee break: 10.05am to 10.10am
Part 2: How do you Offer a Severance Proposal to an Employee? – 10.10am to 11.00am
What can an employer do where they no longer want to employ somebody any longer but they do not have clear grounds on which to dismiss the employee fairly? What if you know an employee wants to leave with a severance package but they have not said this to your formally? In this session we look at the tricky issue of making offers to employees to leave their employment.
- The concept of ‘without prejudice’ conversations
- When is ‘off the record’ really off the record?
- Section 111A of The Employment Rights Act 1996 – what are Protected Conversations?
- When to hold the severance conversation?
- What might a reasonable offer look like?
- What happens if the employee seeks to negotiate better terms?
- How to bring matters to a satisfactory conclusion.
£70 + VAT – general administration rate
FREE For Morecrofts’ employment and HR clients on an annual fixed fee retainer, Chamber Members can claim their discount using code CHAMBERS01