In a world of advanced technology, competitive marketing strategies and customer monitoring, using data effectively has never been more important for business growth.
Whilst the goal of any Data Manager should be to produce good quality information or research data, you don’t need to be an expert to ensure your data is of the highest order.
Read my top tips to help get you well on your way to better data management.
- The most important element of data management is to record the receiving of data capture forms and tracking its progress. Spreadsheets are a great way to do this as they are user friendly and have a number of functions.
- Ensure all new staff complete system training so that new staff do not make errors when processing data.
- Monitor errors and the reason as to why errors are occurring. Make sure the errors are resolved.
- Ensure productivity testing is carried out on an annual basis to avoid system inefficiency.
- Ensure there is a tested contingency plan in place.
- Create a culture of data quality owner ship so that Data Clerks and Data Managers take responsibility for the quality of the data.
- Ideally, all data quality audits should be carried out externally and not by the same person to avoid unrepresentative data.
For all your data management solutions, visit Paul Thompson’s Consultancy website at www.ptc-consultancy-itspecialist.co.uk.