A female London estate agent was awarded over £180,000 by an employment tribunal as a result of her employer’s indirect sex discrimination when it failed to consider her request to work alternative hours around her childcare commitments. In the same week, non-league football club AFC Fylde were ridiculed on social media and in the press for their job advert for a general manager, which specified: “don’t apply if you are looking for a work-life balance or have to pick up the kids from school twice a week at 15:30.
In this live webinar, via Zoom, our head of employment law, Charles Millett, will look at what employers need to bear in mind when dealing with the ever increasing dilemma of how to promote flexible working whilst meeting the needs of the business.
This will include considering:
- What amounts to a flexible working request?
- What should an employer do when they receive a flexible working request?
- On what grounds can the request be turned down?
- Has the Covid-19 pandemic made employees more alert to flexible working?
- What have employers learnt from the pandemic in terms of how to get the best out of their staff?
- Is your business at risk of an employment tribunal awarding an employee £180,000 or more?
- What wording could AFC Fylde have used in their job advert instead to get across the need for a dedicated employee?
The event will take place on Tuesday 5th October at 9:15am